The ketogenic diet also called the keto diet for short, is the latest craze on the diet scene. Although research has been limited, it has been shown to help improve medical conditions like epilepsy and diabetes. It’s allowance of fatty foods while achieving weight loss, like bacon and cheese, also has made the diet a success.
This post does contain affiliate links. Please read the about and policy section for more information
But even a successful diet like keto leaves questions in our minds. Is the keto lifestyle for me? Will I have to give up bread and pasta? What does a keto meal plan look like? This guide will answer all these questions and more. But before you try any new diet consult with a health professional or nutritionist first.
What Is The Ketogenic Diet?
The Ketogenic diet is a high fat, protein, low carbohydrate way of eating. This pattern of eating helps the body achieve weight loss by ketosis. Ketosis is a state where the liver breaks down stored fat to make ketones for energy. The liver only produces ketones when it doesn’t have access to the number of carbohydrates needed to make fuel. The goal is to eat fewer carbohydrates to produce ketones so that your body can burn existing fat. This will speed up the metabolism to continue to burn fat as it is consumed.
4 Tips To Get Started On Keto
1. Decrease Carbohydrates Slowly: Remember a keto meal plan is a low carbohydrate meal plan, so you should still have some carbohydrates daily. There is nothing wrong with decreasing your carbs a little at a time. Track your normal carbohydrate intake and lower it each week. Especially if you are still deciding if the keto diet is right for you. Start by eating keto-friendly vegetables to meet your carb goal instead of sugary treats.
2. Have Fun Food Swapping: Honestly, following a keto meal plan will restrict some of the foods you love. But it can be fun eating mashed cauliflower instead of potatoes or spaghetti squash to replace pasta. Try experimenting in the kitchen to make new versions of your classic favorites.
3. Get Comfortable Increasing Good Fat: For the body to continue making ketones, fat-free or lite foods won’t do. Fat makes up more than half of the keto diet. So don’t be shy about cooking eggs in butter or putting avocado on a salad. You need healthy fats, like olive oil and butter, to make up for the reduction in carbohydrates. Fat keeps you fuller longer and prevents hunger in between meals.
4. Customize Your Keto: Once you choose to go keto, you will have to decrease carb consumption to 20 to 40 grams for a couple of weeks to achieve ketosis state. But after that, you choose how you’ll continue the lifestyle. Some stick to strict carbohydrate reduction, but others gradually allow themselves more carbohydrates over time. It’s all about what feels good and works for you long-term
Beginner Shopping List
This is a list of the basic foods to get when starting the Ketogenic diet.
Fruits And Vegetables:
- Brussel Sprouts
- Canned or fresh tuna
- Chicken Thighs
- Ribeye Steak
- Heavy Cream
- Full Fat Plain Yogurt
- Macadamia Nuts
- Coconut Oil
- Olive Oil
- Avocado Oil
Sugar And Milk Substitutes:
- Sugar-Free Maple Syrup
- Almond Milk
- Coconut Milk
Condiments(make sure some of these don’t contain sugar):
- Yellow Mustard
- Ranch Dressing
- Hot Sauce
- Blue Cheese Dressing
- Almond Butter
- 85%-95% Cocoa Dark Chocolate
- Sunflower Seed Butter
- Unsweetened Cocoa Powder
- Sugar-Free Candies And Desserts
Some Foods To Avoid:
- Bread Containing Grains
- Potatoes And Sweet Potatoes
- Dried Fruits
- White Sugar
- Cottage Cheese
- Brown Sugar
- Low Fat Yogurt
What A Day Of Eating On A Keto Meal Plan Looks Like:
Breakfast: Three strips of bacon, sunny side up eggs, and a whole avocado.
Lunch: Canned tuna, raw spinach, and tomato salad topped with olive oil.
Snack: Strawberry Colada Smoothie: blend strawberries, coconut milk, stevia, and plain full fat yogurt blended
Dinner: Baked chicken thigh with broccoli and cauliflower sauteed in butter and topped with cheese.
Dessert: Berries And Cream: Whip heavy cream and stevia together until stiff peaks form then fold in blueberries and raspberries and enjoy.